This mod allows you to record jerk-free movies in Minecraft, no matter how slow your PC or how complex the scenery is. This is made possible by a temporary modification of the game timer that ensures a constant game time passed between each frame, disabling any synchronization with the actual time. In other words: performance doesn’t matter for smooth videos anymore!
Technically, it can be compared with the startmovie command in Source engine or the fixed_time_step variable in CryEngine.
With this mod, you can easily record ridiculously complex scenes, like 32000 eggs and arrows spawned simultaneously at one point with random velocity
If you tried to record that with tools like Fraps, you would get nothing more than a slideshow. Even if your PC is fast enough for the targeted movie frame rate, it usually produces less smooth results than Minema. But keep in mind that this mod is designed for intermediate users that need to record cinematic or experimental Minecraft movies rather than for “normal” gameplay movies.
- To start and stop a recording session, simply press F4. The key can be configured in the key bindings menu. A “plop” sound indicates the start of a new recording session.
- To capture a single frame with the current settings, press Ctrl + F4. This is basically the same as pressing F2 with some graphical enhanced, such as an increased entity rendering distance. It can also be used in combination with tiled rendering to render very large screenshots.
- On default, audio is captured automatically after the recording session ended.
Note: you must set your default recording device to self-recording for correct audio capture. In case it didn’t work correctly and you want to retry sound capture, press Shift + F4.
In the standalone version, the frames are saved as single Targa files in a directory called “movies” inside Minecraft’s root directory. You can change that in the configuration file “config/minema.cfg” (not to be confused with mod_Minema.cfg, which is unused by this mod), along with some other options.
Recommended third-party mods:
- Camera Studio – for smooth camera movements during recording.
- Single Player Commands – for various configurations and commands.
- Bundled: Extract the content of the zip file to your .minecraft directory. The zip file within this zip file inside the folder “mods” must not be extracted!
- Standalone: Move the zip file to .minecraft/mods. Don’t extract the file!
- Mac OS X: Make sure that the file ffmpeg is flagged to allow execution (chmod +x ffmpeg).
- ModLoader is required for this mod! You need to install it first.
- Don’t forget to remove the old installation when updating!