Realistic Torches is a lightweight mod designed for modpack makers looking to add difficulty to the early game. The primary feature of this mod causes torches to burn out after a configurable amount of time, encouraging players to move toward more permanent light sources early on.
- Torches are now unlit when crafting, and must be lit using a matchbox in a crafting grid or flint and steel (not in the rain, though!) after being placed. As a result, the matchbox must be acquired before players can explore caves safely, prevent hostiles from spawning, etc.
- Torches will burn out after a specified amount of time (60 minutes real time by default, can be changed in the config) and become unlit. This encourages players to seek more permanent light sources early on, such as lava or glowstone.
- Permanently lit (vanilla) torches can be crafted using a glowstone crystal instead of coal.
- Certain items and blocks (torches, glowstone dust and blocks, lava buckets, etc.) will emit light when held. This feature is disabled by default due to possible performance issues but can be enabled in the config.
- Torch recipes added by other mods will be removed to ensure that the matchbox or flint and steel must be acquired to craft lit torches (can be disabled in the config).
Unlit Torch (Coal)
Unlit Torch (Charcoal)
Lit Torch (Shapeless, matchbox takes 1 damage per craft)
Glowstone Crystal (Coal)
Glowstone Crystal (Charcoal)
Torch (Vanilla, permanently lit)
How to install:
- Download and install Minecraft Forge.
- Download the mod.
- Go to %appdata%.
- Go to .minecraft/mods folder.
- If the “mods” folder does not exist you can create one.
- Drag and drop the downloaded jar (zip) file into it.
- Enjoy the mod.